Sunday, 5 May 2013

Newhaven Harbour, a place to relax

Sunset in the Harbour

Newhaven, formerly a harbour and village, is a conservation area about 2 miles North of Edinburgh city centre. It lies along the line of a prehistoric raised beach and was a thriving fishing village. In 1504 James IV created Newhaven Harbour with a view to building a warship for the Scottish Navy, the Port of Leith being unsuitable for large warships.

The Forth Rail bridge from Newhaven Harbour
The lighthouse at the harbour entrance, built in 1869 is a local landmark. Leith Harbour has expanded to dwarf Newhaven and the fishmarket, saved from demolition in 1990 by designation as a listed building, is now occupied by a seafood restaurant which is very good, and a fishmonger. There is also a smaller fishmarket in the building. The harbour is accessible by public transport and there is normally plenty of space in the free carpark behind the restaurant.

Newhaven is served by several buses: 7 and 11 going direct to the city centre, 16 linking to Leith and from there again to the city centre.

Newhaven was part of the early 20th century tram route until 1956. A new tramstop for the area, Newhaven tram stop, was proposed to serve the area as part of Edinburgh Trams. This section is no longer on the primary route for completion in the first phase.

A railway also served the area, the station still existing to some extent off Trinity Crescent. Stations also existed at the end of Annfield and on Craighall Road.

Away from the Harbour the Whalemaster's house in Park Road, dating from the time the village was prominent in the whaling industry had a clear view to the Harbour and was originally built in brick as an oddity later being rebuilt in stone.

A 16th century stone armorial panel on the south side of Main Street, known locally as the "Newhaven Stone", seems to have come from the long vanished Trinity Mains Farm, a farm estate linked to Trinity House in Leith whose crest appears on the tablet and which gave its name to the adjacent suburb of Trinity.

The upper section of the village contained larger villas, looking down over the more crowded village of fishing cottages so the well off could not only view the sea but also look happily at the fishing cottages inhabited by their inferiors.


The Harbour in the day

The Harbour offers good prospects for the keen amateur photographer, though best at sunset, the restaurant offers a range of meals for all pockets, and the fishmonger sometimes offers bargains. The Royal Yacht Britannia and the shopping centre in Ocean Terminal are in walking distance. A visit to the harbour can be a welcome relaxation after a busy day in town. If you are feeling energetic it is not too far to drive to the old fishing village of Cramond

This  post was sponsored by the Badjao B&B Edinburgh

The final photograph was converted to  Sepia using the Gimp

No comments:

Post a Comment